guix-devel

Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?

From: Bengt Richter
Subject: Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 13:56:36 +0100

Hi,

On +2020-11-17 17:38:09 +0100, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 19:30:44 +0100
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > $ docker exec guix guix pack hello
> > user with UID 0 not found
>
> Docker needs to generate a /etc/passwd with uid 0 and the guix build user
> accounts, and a /etc/group with the guixbuild group; and whatever other users
> the things that are composed together using docker compose[1] require.  How
> does this work in Docker-land ?

How much would change if the guix daemon were implemented a little differently?
E.g., (quoted from [1]), does the following mean that the guix daemon
potentially could run "projects"
instead of guixbuilder* to create "Multiple isolated environments on a single
host" ?

Is it suggestive to anyone else?

The features of Compose that make it effective are:

    Multiple isolated environments on a single host
    Preserve volume data when containers are created
    Only recreate containers that have changed
    Variables and moving a composition between environments

Multiple isolated environments on a single host

Compose uses a project name to isolate environments from each other. You can
make use of this project name in several different contexts:

    on a dev host, to create multiple copies of a single environment, such as
when you want to run a stable copy for each feature branch of a project
    on a CI server, to keep builds from interfering with each other, you can
set the project name to a unique build number
    on a shared host or dev host, to prevent different projects, which may use
the same service names, from interfering with each other

The default project name is the basename of the project directory. You can set
a custom project name by using the -p command line option or the
COMPOSE_PROJECT_NAME environment variable.
[...]
> The question is: since Docker supports composition[1], how do they handle
> this standard case ?  How can we get Docker to generate /etc/services,
> /etc/passwd and /etc/group for the composed docker image ?

I guess this question would morph if guixbuilder*  became "projects",
where "you can set the project name to a unique build number".
[...]
--
Regards,
Bengt Richter