guix-devel

Re: Guix day: Summary fo rust BoF session

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: Guix day: Summary fo rust BoF session
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 12:39:28 -0800

Hi Hartmut and Sébastien,

I started with some talking points which I will attach. We did not get
to everything though. Mostly we discussed the possibility of using
system dependencies and installing actual compiled artifacts.  Someone
mentioned that the possibility of using system dependencies came up on
the #rust IRC channel.  After some research, I think I may take a look
at it soon.

The other topic I remember coming up were some packaging idioms and
module organization.  I think consensus was generally reached that we
should try to keep package definitions based on "domain" or "use" rather
than by language - i.e. put rust web libraries in a web module. I think
the newer crates-graphics and other modules are decent examples of
this. In future, perhaps we move packages out of rust-apps.scm though.

In other news, I am glad the importer is merged now! Congratulations!

- John