guix-devel

Re: Some emacs stuff to activate/deactivate guix profiles

From: pinoaffe
Subject: Re: Some emacs stuff to activate/deactivate guix profiles
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 15:28:30 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:
> My emacs-guix already has a file called guix-profiles.el; how do you
> handle that
oops, I think I'll rename this script then :)

> or how do I best look at / try your profiles?
I think the easiest way to try this is to source the guix-profiles file,
set the three "defcustom" variables, and to then run guix-enable-profile
or guix-disable-profile interactively.

> This looks interesting; I'm using M-x guix-set-emacs-environment a
> lot but my biggest problem/gripe with that is that it's global.
Yeah this is also global, as far as I can tell the only difference with
guix-set-emacs-environment seems to be that this allows enabling several
profiles at the same time and that this script maintains a list of which
profiles should be active. I think I'll take a look at how this could be
integrated into emacs-guix.

As to non-global things: I think a way to open a shell in emacs with a
specific set of packages available would be nice, but I'm not sure
whether it'd be better to wrap `guix environment` or to implement
something that starts a subprocess with the environment variables
corresponding to a (set of) profile(s). When implemented correctly, this
could also be applied through per-project profiles when combined with a
project manager such as projectile.

Blessings,
pinoaffe