guix-devel

Re: ZFS on Guix

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: ZFS on Guix
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 10:29:21 +0200

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 09:32:27AM +0000, raid5atemyhomework wrote:
> > * the shepherd services defined in `configuration.scm`
> >   seem one-shot services to me, so maybe add '(one-shot? #t)'.
>
> I was wary of making the `zfs-scan` one-shot, since there is a dependent
> service on top of it.  Not to mention restarting `zfs-scan` could be useful
> if for example you were doing hotswapping of devices.  Maybe.

After a one-shot service 'happens' it is effectively in a 'stopped'
state. So if something else comes along and requires it it will start it
again. So if running 'zfs scan' can be considered a one-off action and
it's ok if it's run when other services need it then making it a
one-shot service is OK.

> > * in the 'stop' of zfs-automount, the code changes the working
> >   directory.  As it isn't restored afterwards, this doesn't seem
> >   kosher to me.  Or maybe this isn't an issue at all.
>
> The code is modeled after `file-system-shepherd-service` procedure in
> `gnu/services/base.scm`, which includes a `(chdir "/")` as well with the
> comment "Make sure PID 1 doesn't keep TARGET busy.".  Since this also does
> filesystem mounting/unmounting, I judged it best to imitate the existing
> filesystem mounting/unmounting service.

Makes sense to me.