guix-devel

Re: Getting the Guix Build Coordinator agent working on the Hurd

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Getting the Guix Build Coordinator agent working on the Hurd
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 20:58:18 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

>> The second issue is that I'm not sure capturing the build time
>> GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH doesn't seem to work, at least file says that
>> the .go files this contains are built for a 64-bit architecture. I
>> worked around this by constructing the GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH from the
>> inputs I knew should be on it. Maybe it should always have been done
>> this way, any ideas?
>
> Instead of capturing the build-time ‘GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH’, which
> doesn’t contain the target .go files, you should explicitly list the
> inputs as is done in the ‘guix’ package for example.  That’ll ensure the
> binary refers to the cross-compiled .go files.

This has now happened [1], so the guix-build-coordinator package should
now cross compile in a useable way.

1:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=eec127822a74c6a1a6100b07d94c8fb275d571bf

>> There's also one problem probably within the Guix Build Coordinator
>> itself, after doing a few builds, it will just stop. I've only seen this
>> behaviour on the Hurd, but I'm unsure how to debug it, any suggestions?
>> My only idea is add more logging.
>
> No idea, but I guess that could just be a crash.  Can you still log in
> afterwards?

Not through SSH at least.

Someone on IRC mentioned they'd had issues running Hurd VMs without
swap, so getting swap in childhurds might be something to try. I started
looking at this [2].

2: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/46726

> BTW, note that builds on GNU/Hurd are currently not isolated, and thus
> it’s the wild west in terms of reproducibility:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/43857
>
> There are open questions as to what to include in the build environment:
>
>   https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/childhurds-and-substitutes/

Isolation would be nice of course, although I'm not sure how much this
will affect reproducibility, unless things are poking around in the
store directly.