guix-devel

Re: Changes to the branching workflow

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Changes to the branching workflow
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 16:52:55 +0100

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 05 Mar 2021 at 10:34, Christopher Lemmer Webber
<cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:
> zimoun writes:
>> On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 at 16:05, Christopher Lemmer Webber
>> <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if we should formalize it.  What about adding a section to the
>>> "Contributing" section of the manual explaining what the different
>>> branches are, and when you have a patch that's been approved, when to
>>> push it to which branch?
>>
>> Do you mean something like #8 in [1] and then [2]?
>>
>> 1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Submitting-Patches>
>> 2: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Commit-Access>
>>
>> In [2], it reads:
>>
>>         For patches that just add a new package, and a simple one, it’s
>>         OK to commit, if you’re confident (which means you successfully
>>         built it in a chroot setup, and have done a reasonable copyright
>>         and license auditing). Likewise for package upgrades, except
>>         upgrades that trigger a lot of rebuilds (for example, upgrading
>>         GnuTLS or GLib).
>>
>> which I understand as: the ’staging’ or ’core-update’ patches should go
>> to guix-patches and not be pushed directly.  Especially when one has
>> commit access and does not follow closely enough to know the status of
>> the very branch.
>
> I don't think the quoted part fully answered it, but the following part
> does answer it:

Point #8 in [1] answered to «explaining what the different branches».
And because it was hard to refer a specific part of [2], hence the
quote, to answer to: «when you have a patch that's been approved, when to
push it to which branch?», especially to know the status of the branch.

Sorry if I have been unclear.

Cheers,
simon