guix-devel

Re: Release on April 18th?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Release on April 18th?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 10:38:33 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 at 14:06, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> OpenSSL 1.0 <https://bugs.gnu.org/46602>

I commented:

        Therefore, a good start seems to try to build all the 16
        packages depending on openssl <at> 1.0 with openssl <at> 1.1.
        And mark them with a comment if they fail.  But I guess that
        openssl <at> 1.0 is a strong requirement for these 16 packages.

and tried for a couple of these 16 and they failed to build.  And since:

$ guix refresh -l openssl@1.0
Building the following 2277 packages would ensure 2400 dependent
packages are rebuilt

which is worse than on Feb. 25th, 2021 («1930 packages would ensure 2048
dependent»), I guess we are not taking the good path to remove it soon.
Sadly.

> Qt 4 <https://bugs.gnu.org/45704>

I have never looked into this.  If you think it is possible to remove
it, let’s dot it. :-)

> Not to mention Python 2
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00696.html>

The follow-up of this message from 2019 is:

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00376.html>

and Maxim provided the “process” (if that can be named a “process” :-))
as a reply here:

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-01/msg00391.html>

BTW, the package Python 3 python-enum34 is broken since maybe ever

<https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/python-enum34/output-history>

and only used for the Python 2 variant python2-enum34, which cannot be
removed yet (198 packages would ensure 386 dependent packages).

Cheers,
simon