guix-devel

Re: guix environment --profile with --ad-hoc

From: Lars-Dominik Braun
Subject: Re: guix environment --profile with --ad-hoc
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 08:25:52 +0100

Hi,

> guix environment doesn't allow --ad-hoc to be used when --profile is
> set. I propose to have --ad-hoc add more packages to the container when
> using it with --profile.
I wrote the patch that adds this feature to `guix environment`. The idea
was to have a way to turn an existing profile into an environment,
specifically a container (-C), which is not possible with `source
etc/profile`. It’s also very quick, because it does not compute
anything to do that. (I think it still does, which is my bad.)

Can I ask: What is your use-case? Why not extend the existing profile
using `guix package -p /path -i foobar`?

Cheers,
Lars