guix-devel

Re: Generate diff with git-diff and use in patches field of packages

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Generate diff with git-diff and use in patches field of packages
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 13:06:30 -0500

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 06:49:37PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> I could miss something but I was not suggesting to cherry-pick. :-)
> Cherry-picking means use the current packaged version and backport to it
> the commit(s) fixing the issue.

I know you were not suggesting to cherry-pick. But that is what this
thread is about: the best workflow for cherry-picking patches.

> I am suggesting to update the packaged version to the upstream version
> at commit.  But maybe it is not possible because the new upstream has
> changed some API or whatever breaking some dependants.

We can do that, and sometimes we do. I think we should avoid it when
possible, since it's rare that upstream projects intend for us to
distribute their development branches.