guix-devel

Re: Guile Netlink 1.0 released

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: Guile Netlink 1.0 released
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 16:12:05 -0700

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:
> I'm proud to announce the first release of Guile Netlink!

This is great! I have been wishing for this for Guile ever since I
started using Guix. Thank you.

Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> writes:
>>   (addr-add "enp1s0" "2001:db8::1a4c/64" #:ipv6? #t)
>
> what does the "ipv6?" parameter add ? This could be
> deduced from the address length, no ?

IPv6 configuration is so different from IPv4 configuration that I
think it should have its own functions, not just a keyword parameter.

For example, right now you cannot assign multiple static IPv6
addresses to the same interface (a basic IPv6 task) with
static-networking-service. Putting the conditional logic for IPv4
versus IPv6 rules inside the same functions is an invitation for more
similar bugs. Trying to dispatch based on parsing the provided string
makes it even more confusing. Dispatching based on a keyword
parameter is not much better, and introduces the possibility of user
error ("I forgot the #:ipv6 keyword").

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la