[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: guix home
Re: guix home
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 12:09:45 +0300
> I see. So do I get it right that `guix home` focuses primarily on
> profile and user service management? Could you give examples of a
> minimal config and command invocations?
It optionally invades in different parts of the user environment:
- Manages configurations for user programs via home-services.
- Manages a separate profile with packages declared by user or service.
- Manages shell and its environment.
- Starts a shepherd on first login and other long-living processes from
- (Not yet in master) Manages state (like cloning git repos, bringing
folder with wallpapers from backup server on new installation),
potentially it can not only init state, but also sync/backup/archive
it in the future.
> Oh nice, now I have to watch those!
Let me know what you think. Will be glad to hear all the comments and
suggestions on both content and delivery.
> I have yet to familiarize myself with ‘guix home’, but overall, I think
> a solution à la ‘guix home’ or guix-home-manager would be a welcome
> addition to Guix.
I would be glad to upstream it. We still completing some must have
features, home-services for important software and generic helpers for
declaring new ones. If you have any tips for simplification upstreaming
of such relatively beefy tool to keep in mind, please share them and I
hope, when `guix home` will be complete enough, the review and merge
process will be less painful.