guix-devel

Re: A Critique of Shepherd Design

From: raid5atemyhomework
Subject: Re: A Critique of Shepherd Design
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 14:48:25 +0000

> Loopback is handled by the ‘loopback’ shepherd service, which is
> provided via ‘%base-services’. Perhaps you just need to have your
> service depend on it?

My service requires `tor`, which itself requires `loopback`, but it was still
unable to access `127.0.0.1:9050` until I added a service that invokes
`nm-online` and had my service require that.  It works that way without
problems, which leads me to conclude that loopback is *still* handled by
NetworkManager somehow, despite what the Shepherd-level services claim.
Unfortunately I cannot divulge what my service is; suffice it to say that naive
code that just opens to `127.0.0.1:9050` failed when invoked before `nm-online`
completes.

Thanks
raid5atemyhomework