guix-devel

Re: imagemagick@6.9.11-48 to graft or not to graft with 6.9.12-2

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: imagemagick@6.9.11-48 to graft or not to graft with 6.9.12-2
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 16:48:27 +0100

Hello Mark,

Am Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 07:42:48PM -0400 schrieb Mark H Weaver:
> To my mind this suggests a bug, or at least suboptimal behavior, in
> "guix package".  I don't think it's appropriate to set grafting policy
> to work around it.
>
> How about changing "guix package -A" and "guix package -s" to display
> information about the package's replacement, if it has one?

I am not familiar enough with grafts and replacements to judge whether
this is a reasonable approach or whether it just adds more duct tape on
top of duct tape... Note that everything would have to be consistent,
from "guix package" to "guix build". And the "--no-grafts" also behaves
strangely, where it is not even clear what the optimal behaviour should be.
I still think it is a situation we should try to avoid as much as possible,
but maybe it is not worth to spend too much time fixing it.

Andreas