guix-devel

Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 17:42:23 +0200

Sorry for duplicated email,

On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 16:58 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> I don’t think we should have a security-updates
> branch, because the role of that branch is effectively taken by
> staging.

I don't think that's the case because staging is documented for things
that do not make too many rebuilds (in which case they'd go to core-
updates), and some times security updates do cause rebuilds in the
1800+ and they could not go through staging. The proposed security-
updates branch would not have that limitation. We could of course also
revisit the policy for staging and prioritize security updates through
that branch while also committing to actually merging that branch on
schedule.

Léo