guix-devel

Re: Organizing Tui Apps

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: Organizing Tui Apps
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 01:50:43 +0000

On April 23, 2021, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 10:00:14PM +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:
> Spreadsheets sounds fine to me, but I think the most important ones
> (libreoffice and org-mode) are already excluded from that module for
> obvious reasons ;)
> Perhaps an even more generic "office" module might be better, because
> then we could at least add some small word processors to it, WDYT? Or
> maybe sc-im already fits as-is into textutils if you squint hard enough

My main objection was about moving packages. So whatever module you
create is fine, but let's not start moving libreoffice and org-mode
around.

As the person who originally suggested organizing tui-apps into a file, I'd envisioned it as being sort of like its own desktop environment. So similar to how we might put Gnome (GTK) apps and KDE (Qt) apps together, we might put tui (ASCII terminal) apps together.

I am not upset if that's unconvincing to others & will happily drop the proposal if it's not useful, I never intended for it to become a drawn out discussion. It also makes sense to me that we might organize things by programming language or by function, those each have strengths as strategies.

Ryan