guix-devel

Re: Pinebook pro TODO

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Pinebook pro TODO
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 09:23:47 -0700

On 2021-04-24, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> now that I've got my pbp running guix, I have
> more questions.
>
> The kernel is still "manjaro kernel", should
> this be changed to reflect some changes
> we have made ?

That's probably just tweaking the kernel defconfig a bit more.

> What about the panfrost patch ?
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/40835
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2020-04/msg01317.html

The panfrost changes for mesa are in guix since 1.2.0rc1, commit:

  ee401ed9249fbe284ef1b9b437d39207ca88131b

I think that bug report addressed multiple other issues, so didn't
exactly seem appropriate to close.

> The wip-pbp branch:
> why does it get merges from master instead
> of being rebased (as wip-* branches can be) ?

It has some history that makes rebasing complicated that I'd rather not
loose for now. When it's ready to merge to master, I'll go through the
trouble to rebase it.

> How can one help getting things going upstream ?

I think the only things left are the 22 kernel patches in the
wip-pinebook-pro branch in
gnu/packages/patches/linux-libre-pinebook-pro-* ... many are flagged as
hacks in the comments and need to be re-implemented in a way that makes
the patches upstreamable... and then submitted upstream.

Might be able to further refactor those patches to get something useable
directly on guix master, but I haven't been comfortable pushing such
large changes to master (~2000 lines of code, ~3000 line kernel
config).

Although the patches are only applied to linux-libre-pinbook-pro and
shouldn't affect other packages at all...

There are also some changes (usb-c alternate display mode, wifi) that
may need to be removed for linux-libre; I believe linux-libre makes it
impossible to load the non-free firmware in practice, but the support
should just not be present at all.

The wip-pinebook-pro patches are stalled at 5.10, but at least 5.10 is a
long-term support kernel series:

  https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/linux-pinebook-pro.git

live well,
  vagrant