guix-devel

Re: What’s next?

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: What’s next?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 14:18:46 -0400

Pierre Neidhardt writes:

> Hi,
>
> Off the top of my head:
>
> - Optimize the man page database update during profile builds.
>
> - File search.
>
>   (I did work on it a year ago, it's stuck, would need help from people
>   familiar with Cuirass.)

That sounds interesting.  What does it mean?  Would it help me figure
out which commands come from which package?

A feature I remember being cool they had enabled by default on Ubuntu
back in the day was:

  $ crawl-tiles
  Not found.  Maybe "sudo apt-get install crawl-tiles"?

So for us:

  $ crawl-tiles
  Not found.  Maybe "guix package -i crawl-tiles"?

The curious thing about this though... it seems to require knowledge of
the *outputs*.

To invoke this manually, a user could type:

  # Queries curiass or some sort of build system, similar to guix weather
  $ guix search --binary crawl-tiles
  Found in:
   - crawl-tiles

> - A GUI.
>
>   https://gitlab.com/daym/guix-gui.git seems to be a good starting point.

Oh wow!  I'm going to give this a try.

> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> * Add .deb and .rpm formats for 'guix pack'.
> [...]
>> * guix environment --fhs (file hierachy standard)
>
> Oh my, awesome ideas!!!  (These 2 in particular.)
>
> Cheers!

I'll add one that I *should* finish: I should get the setuid stuff
done.  IIRC it's like, two minor tweaks away from being done and
bitrotting... I've been busy...

Maybe I could do it towards the end of the following week?  Would be
good to get the damned thing done... and then finally get postfix in,
too.