guix-devel

guix and mirroring dataset

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: guix and mirroring dataset
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 19:04:15 +0000

HI,

Does the guix project and members suggest best guix-ish practices for managing
on premise mirrors of large file-based data-sets such as appear in genomics HPC
evironments?

Perhaps a guix-ish response to [Go Get Data \(GGD\) is a framework that
facilitates reproducible access to genomic
data](https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-22381-z)

That would build on GWL?

Use cases would be, e.g. download/sync selected (versions of) genomes from
Ensembl/NCBI etc and index them for Blast, blat, bowtie{2}, bwa, STAR, GMAP,
HiSAT, IGV, BioConductor, etc...

I see much that addresses analysis workflows, such as
 -  [Reproducible genomics analysis pipelines with GNU
Guix](https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/298653v2.full)
 - [Scalable Workflows and Reproducible Data Analysis for
Genomics](https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31278683/)
 - [PiGx: reproducible genomics analysis pipelines with GNU
Guix](https://academic.oup.com/gigascience/article/7/12/giy123/5114263)

Am I missing similar efforts toward maintaining an up-to-date catalog of the
genomic resources that such workflows require?

Thanks!

Malcolm Cook
Database Applications Manager
Stowers Institute for Medical Research