guix-devel

Re: Rust freedom issue claim

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: Rust freedom issue claim
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 14:38:18 -0400

Ludovic Courtès writes:
> Before triggering an alarm, I would check what major distros, and Debian
> in particular, are doing about Rust; I have not heard of any concerns so
> far.  If the Rust trademark turns out to be a concern, distros should
> try hard, collectively, to resolve it through dialog with Rust
> Foundation people.

I started a thread about the Rust trademark policy on the debian-legal
mailing list.
<https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2021/06/msg00003.html>

I participated in the Free Software Foundation's most recent Free
Software Directory meeting.  Several participants in the meeting where
interested in the Rust trademark policy.  I started a thread on the
directory-discuss mailing list as was suggested in the meeting.
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2021-06/msg00000.html>

The Free Software Foundation's licensing team will be taking a serious
look at the Rust trademark policy issue (no time frame was given).
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2021-06/msg00001.html>

After reading further on the topic and receiving feedback I have written
an update to my understanding of the Rust trademark policy.
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/directory-discuss/2021-06/msg00000.html>