guix-devel

Re: Substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 15:56:30 +0100

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:

>> While I've been working on the software side of building things for
>> substitutes through the Guix Build Coordinator for over a year now [1],
>> I've only been personally pushing to bring the benefits to Guix users by
>> default for the last few weeks [2].
>>
>> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00323.html
>> 2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-05/msg00020.html
>>
>> The strategy that currently seems most feasible is to add an additional
>> default source of substitutes: bordeaux.guix.gnu.org.
>>
>> I think things are pretty much ready, you can find some information at
>> https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/ . If you're up for trying out fetching
>> substitutes from bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, now is a good time to do so, and
>> please report back in terms of how it's working out for you.
>
> The patch to enable bordeaux.guix.gnu.org as a default substitute server
> is available in [1].
>
> 1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48435
>
> I've created a wip-bordeaux branch [2] now which includes that patch,
> plus a commit to update the guix package to build guix including it. I
> think this will be helpful when testing the changes.
>
> 2: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-bordeaux
>
> I've also drafted a blog post, which can be found here [3].
>
> 3:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/drafts/substitutes-from-bordeaux.guix.gnu.org.md
>
> If I can find the time to test things this week, maybe the changes in
> #48435 can be merged on Friday. If anyone is up for testing things, or
> reading through the blog post, that would be great.

These changes are now in master, and I've published the blog post!

https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2021/substitutes-now-also-available-from-bordeauxguixgnuorg/

As said in the blog post, I regard this as an important milestone. As a
change goes, the impact will be gradual, but I'm hoping in hindsight it
will be a step forward.