guix-devel

Re: Removal of Python 2?

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: Removal of Python 2?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:02:30 +0000

On Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021 at 6:53 AM, Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> Am 06.06.21 um 21:44 schrieb Lars-Dominik Braun:
>
> > 3.  Determine the fate of Python 2, which is probably broken through this
> >
> >     patch set. Shall we remove it entirely? Is it worth to keep support?
>
> Python 2 is dead, dead, dead like the parrot and end-of-prolonged life
>
> as of more than 1 1/2 years. Anyhow, there might still be quite some
>
> software not ported to Python 3 after 10 years. So I'm afraid we need to
>
> keep Python 2.

Python 2 is no longer supported, but the Tauthon project [1] is continuing
support and backporting features from Python 3. We should consider packaging
Tauthon in Guix and updating packages to depend on it. The Python project has
promised there will never be a Python 2.8 release [2] but considering the huge
body of extant Python 2 code, if we can get consensus within Guix I think there
would be value in continuing to support python2 packages via Tauthon.

[1] https://github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon
[2] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0404/