guix-devel

Debbugs Usertags - which user to use? (Was: Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0 in Septem

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Debbugs Usertags - which user to use? (Was: Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0 in September?)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 13:48:22 -0700

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Chris,
>
> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I intend to try to get POWER9 working on core-updates before the next
>> release.  Hopefully the recent upgrade to GCC 10 will make it easier.
>
> Neat!
>
>> Anyone who wants to help with powerpc64le-linux is, of course, more than
>> welcome to coordinate and lend a hand!  I will be tagging bug reports
>> specific to powerpc64le-linux with the "powerpc64le-linux" usertag, for
>> the user "guix-devel@gnu.org".  You can see the open bugs tagged thusly
>> here:
>
> I'm rather late to the party, but may I suggest simply using 'guix' as
> the user?  It was made possible to do so as the result of me bothering
> the very nice GNU people maintaining emacs-debbugs / GNU debbugs
> instance (there used to be a limitation for 5 letters+ projects so that
> 'emacs' would be usable as a user).
>
> C-h f debbugs-gnu-usertags also has the docstring "List all user tags
> for USERS, which is \(\"emacs\"\) by default." and later the input text
> "Package name(s) or email address: ", which suggest 'guix' should be
> valid.
>
> Thanks for this nice initiatives of yours!
>
> Maxim

Yes, my understanding is that the user "guix" would also work.

I think it would be fine to use the user "guix" instead of
"guix-devel@gnu.org".  Perhaps it would have the added benefit of
eliminating any possible risk of accidentally spamming the email list,
although so far that hasn't happened.

To give others time to voice their opinion, I'll plan to update the
manual to suggest using the "guix" user about 2 weeks from now.  At that
time, I'll also re-tag the handful of issues currently tagged with the
powerpc64le-linux usertag associated with the guix-devel@gnu.org user.

--
Chris