guix-devel

Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Effectively force all GNOME users to locally compile ZFS?
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 23:38:57 +0200

Domagoj Stolfa 写道:
Why can substitutes not be offered for ZFS as a standalone module? I'm not a lawyer nor do I understand much lawyerese, but AIUI, the problem stems from the FSF lawyers thinking it wouldn't stand up in court to distribute CDDL software linked against GPL'd software as one big binary. Could someone please explain why it would not be acceptable to distribute substitutes of ZFS as a *standalone kernel module*, rather than as a part of linux-libre?

The question assumes there's such a thing as a *standalone [Linux] kernel module*.

This is not a given, and according to all lawyers the FSF has talked to, a fiction. Or so the FSF states in the last paragraph of the ‘What Constitutes the Entire Work?’ section of <https://www.fsf.org/licensing/zfs-and-linux>.

(Sorry for the link!  I couldn't resist ;-)

My understanding was (and still is) that this is specific to CDDL+GPL only, not CDDL+LGPL, so distributing a dynamically linked libvirt with ZFS support is allowed.

Kind regards,

T G-R