guix-devel

Merging the “binary” NPM importer?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Merging the “binary” NPM importer?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 22:28:50 +0200

Hello!

pinoaffe <pinoaffe@airmail.cc> skribis:

> Recently, I made an effort to get the guix-npm binary importer working
> in combination with a relatively "modern" guix - my changes are rather
> hacky and I think I may have broken a thing or two, but i got it to work
> reasonably well in the REPL.
> (many thanks to Jelle Licht and possibly others who initially wrote the
> importer)
>
> Considering that such a binary importer is probably not well-suited for
> inclusion in guix-proper, I would like to make it available through an
> additional channel, mostly for my own use but maybe also for others.

We’ll have to check what maintainers think, but I’ve come to think that
we could include it in Guix proper, while of course properly documenting
its shortcomings.

We would probably not include packages made with it in Guix proper, but
it can still be useful to users who want a way to manage free JS code
with Guix.  And on top of that, it already exists.  :-)

Thoughts?

Ludo’.