guix-devel

Re: Code sharing between system and home services (was Re: On the naming

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Code sharing between system and home services (was Re: On the naming of System and Home services modules.)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:32:55 -0400

Xinglu Chen <public@yoctocell.xyz> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 23 2021, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Xinglu Chen <public@yoctocell.xyz> skribis:
>>
>>> Some services might be useful to have in both Guix System and Guix Home;
>>> for instance, Guix System currently has a service for configuring
>>> Syncthing, and I think it makes sense to also have one for Guix Home,
>>> this would mean that people not using Guix System (me :-)) could also
>>> have Guix manage Syncthing.  With the current approach, we would have to
>>> copy and paste quite a bit of code, and if the Syncthing service for
>>> Guix System changes, then the one for Guix Home might have to change as
>>> well.
>>
>> Silly question, but why do we need to have two different configuration
>> record types in the first place?
>
> The problem is that the configuration records for system and home
> service don’t necessarily have the same fields.  The Syncthing service
> for Guix System has a ‘user’ and a ‘group’ field, which is not really of
> any use in Guix Home, as the only user would be the user invoking ‘guix
> home’.

Apologies if I'm speaking for something I know very little
about...Wouldn't it be nice if guix home services would accept a user
and a group field?  For the syncthing service, perhaps the user wants to
limit Syncthing's runtime permissions.  So instead of running as the
user, the user would run synthing as a different user with less permissions?

Please note it may be much better to just container-ize the synthing
service.  Does guix home have that ability?

https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2017/running-system-services-in-containers/

--
Joshua Branson (jab in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus