guix-devel

Re: Please explain these fundamental terms to me?

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: Please explain these fundamental terms to me?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:32:18 +0000

Hi,

This should be clarified in the docs. I understand your confusion.

Binary seeds are all the binaries that are needed for the instalation to start. They normally include Bash, GCC and that kind of stuff. So the instalation process starts with those and uses them as tools to build all the packages needed from source.

The full source bootstrap project aims to eliminate those binaries from the process. This means those programs will be built from source too.

Stage0 is a big part of the full source bootstrap. It is based on several assemblers that finally are able to compile GCC (through many steps, including the compilation of a heavily patched version of TCC).

So the software Guix release comes with coul only have source packages and be able to build everything from source, using Stage0.

I'm not sure if this explanation is the best or if it helps, but I hope it does.

If you have more questions or anything don't hesitate to ask.

Best,
Ekaitz