guix-devel

Re: Merging the “binary” NPM importer?

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Merging the “binary” NPM importer?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 10:13:36 -0500

pinoaffe <pinoaffe@airmail.cc> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Philip McGrath writes:
>> This did seem to happen with a large package I imported, but the
>> multiple versions coexisting seemed to work ok.
> Oh okay, it didn't really seem to work in my tree - yet another argument
> for merging it, in order to unify it :)

+1, if this works. These packages aren't meant to end up in Guix anyway, so if
there's a lot of duplicates, it only harms the local store, or a channel.

Maybe someday Guix can untangle the JS ecosystem knot, but in the meantime this
unblocks folks.

>> Ultimately, Guix will somehow need to deal with the messy versioning
>> of the NPM world, and it would be nice to keep the duplication to a
>> minimum, but that seems like it might be a challenge.
> I think it would be great if at some point we could somehow encode
> version constraints for dependencies in guix packages, as even if one
> were to properly package a bunch of npm packages, figuring out whether
> one can safely upgrade one of them without breaking any of the
> dependents would be quite a hassle (or would need to involve running a
> lot of builds to see whether they fail).

This sounds neat. And maybe pre-defined rules, e.g. semantic versioning?

Good luck!

--
Katherine