guix-devel

Request to use GNU guix reproducibility bugs data for research project |

From: zimoun
Subject: Request to use GNU guix reproducibility bugs data for research project | University of Waterloo
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 13:01:51 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 at 16:48, Muhammad Hassan <muhammad.hassan@uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> I would like to scrap reproducibility bugs data from the linked
> website to use in my research project that is being conducted at the
> University of Waterloo. I am a Master's student.

Nice!  Thank for your interest to Guix.

> The project aims to provide automated support for non-reproducibility
> detection.

Non-reproducibility can be large. Against which one are you working?

> Please tell me if there is an API that I can use to scrap the data.

For instance, “guix build --no-substitutes” followed by “guix build
--check” allows you to locally build and rebuild for checking if the
build is reproducible – bitwise speaking.  Then, “guix challenge” allows
to check your local builds against the build-farm.  Note that two
build-farms are available [1,2] for various architectures.

The Guix project runs a Data Service to collect various data. This
service serves a JSON API (not-really documented but roaming on IRC
#guix helps ;-)).  One year ago (already, damned!), a tiny and drafty
script to somehow get the reproducibility coverage was around [3].  I
have not worked on it since then and I do not know if it still works.
Perhaps, it might be an entry-point for working on reproducibility data
from Guix.

Feel free to ask more details.

1: <http://ci.guix.gnu.org/>
2: <http://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/>
3: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00181.html>

Hope that helps,
simon

PS: I close the issue since it is not one, IIUC.  Instead, let redirect
to the mailing list guix-devel which seems a better place for discussing
such request. :-)