guix-devel

Re: Time for a request-for-comments process?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Time for a request-for-comments process?
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 17:52:44 +0100

Hi,

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 at 17:08, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> As zimoun wrote, a big question is formalization.  I haven’t yet taken
>> the time to look at those other project RFC processes I mentioned, but
>> we should do that.  Important questions are: how do we determine whether
>> a change is important enough to be RFC-worthy?  How do we determine
>> whether it’s accepted or withdrawn?  Perhaps that will unfold broader
>> questions about structuring and decision-making.
>>
>> If anyone feels like giving a hand of this formalization effort, please
>> feel empowered to do so!
>
> I could volunteer for being part of the formalization effort.

Yay!  :-)

> However, as I said elsewhere, this effort should start be collecting
> what do we consider as changes requiring formal process?

Agreed, that’s what I meant above.

I don’t have an answer, but I think we should look at what others are
doing, what criteria they use, etc.  The Nix RFC process is probably the
closest match in terms of application domain, but maybe others are
closer to the way we practice decision-making in Guix.

Thanks,
Ludo’.