guix-devel

Re: extend ’guix archive’?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: extend ’guix archive’?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:32:53 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 at 10:39, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:
>> On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 at 23:07, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding nar-herder, I think it’d be nice to have a solution to
>>> mirroring in Guix proper, developed similarly to other components,
>>> because it could be a fairly central tool.
>>>
>>> ‘guix publish’ is probably not extensible enough to support that, but we
>>> could make it a new ‘guix mirror’ or ‘guix sync’ or whatever command.
>>
>> Why not extend “guix archive”?
>
> ‘guix archive’ is a low-level tool that does very little right now; it’s
> pretty far from ‘guix publish’ and related concerns.

Hum, that’s why “extend”. ;-)  But if you think another subcommand is
better, why not.

The core of my previous message is: «I miss why another SQL database is
required to serve stuff from one place to another».  Other said, what
are the features for “guix mirror” (or guix sync or whatever bikeshed)?

Cheers,
simon