guix-devel

Re: Maven Build System Dependency Issue

From: Phil
Subject: Re: Maven Build System Dependency Issue
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 12:23:24 +0000

Julien Lepiller writes:

> Hi Phil,
>
> I have already seen the issue previously, and I believe it is now fixed
> on master. As you can see here,
> https://github.com/guix-mirror/guix/blob/master/gnu/packages/java.scm#L7899
> we now propagate the correct parent pom.

Thanks Julien that looks exactly as I'd expect now.  Out of curiosity
was this change only merged to master in the last few days?  When I
looked on Guix mirror I ended up seeing the old 50 version just a few
days ago?  It's always possible I just looked at the wrong branch by
accident!

One last question - I note your change was committed on 21st Dec, which
is bad luck for me as the Python 3.9 upgrade went in on 17th Dec, and
I'm stuck for non-Guix reasons on 3.8.2 (so my Guix is a bit stale for
now).  I'll fix this medium-term on my side, but was wondering if there
is any way around this?

None of my previous e-mail's attempts worked, but using Guix Inferiors
this morning to make "guix" itself the inferior (rather than the maven
package), my pacakge then actually built.  Adopting the example given
in the manual, I was able to create a profile out of the below manifest,
which if I then run "guix build" inside it downloaded and built the older
build system on the fly, including java-commons-codec@1.14 - which is
pretty cool.

I could then continue to add packages from current guix alongside this,
although I'm not sure if this is a particularly good idea!

Given that I want to rewind the build system itself rather than a
specific package is this the right/canonical way to do this?  There
seems no way of using --with-inputs or --with-source to do this,
presumably because you need to make the change *before* guix itself is
called?

(use-modules (guix inferior) (guix channels)
             (srfi srfi-1))   ;for 'first'

(define channels
  ;; This is the commit id just before java-commons-codec was upgraded 1.14 ->
1.15
  (list (channel
         (name 'guix)
         (url "https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git";)
         (commit
          "a3b6e904484e23db65990be70d76ba32c15fd03f")))) ;; old fix

;;"a348520e2a253bc81fa92566e74f8b3e60fea058")))) ;; future fix

(define inferior
  ;; An inferior representing the above revision.
  (inferior-for-channels channels))

;; Now create a manifest contain guix itself rewound to where
java-commons-codec=1.14
(packages->manifest
 (list (first (lookup-inferior-packages inferior "guix"))))

;;(specification->package "maven"))) ;; add other packages as required