guix-devel

Moving forward with testing patches and branches

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Moving forward with testing patches and branches
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:46:35 +0000

Hey!

I think the last thread I started on this topic was all the way back in
August [1].

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-08/msg00001.html

Building on the feedback there, I've got two threads of work in mind for
the start of this year.

Firstly, work on getting data from the data service about patch series
and branches out to places where it's useful. Several ideas came up in
[1], I think all of them need doing/trying.

The patch testing setup centred around [2] is operating again, and at
least producing information on lint warnings and affected packages, so
work can proceed on trying to make use of that information.

2: https://patches.guix-patches.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/

The second thread of work is to get builds happening again and
populating the data service with information. While there's the option
to setup a separate build coordinator instance as before, I first want
to get the bordeaux.guix.gnu.org build farm building things from patches
and non-master branches.

I think the main prerequisite for this changing the
data.guix-patches.cbaines.net to data.qa.guix.gnu.org (or something
similar, just so it's a stable URL). Once that has happened, the agents
can be configured to support fetching derivations from
data.qa.guix.gnu.org as well as data.guix.gnu.org. I'm hoping to start
working on this within the next week or two.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions!

Thanks,

Chris