guix-devel

Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 15:43:10 +0000

Hi!

On 2/19/22 08:30, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
Hi,

Am Samstag, dem 19.02.2022 um 02:34 +0000 schrieb Zelphir Kaltstahl:
So I deleted and built the emacs profile again using `guix package --
manifest="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}"/emacs-profile-manifest.scm --
profile="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}"/emacs-profile`.

However, no luck. Still magit cannot be loaded. Still saying that:

~~~~
Unable to activate package ‘magit’.
Required package ‘git-commit-3.3.0’ is unavailable
~~~~

Not sure what else I can try.
Best regards,
Zelphir
I think there might be something fundamentally wrong here.  On a pretty
recent git checkout (using pre-inst-env) I can `guix shell -C emacs
emacs-magit -E TERM -- emacs' and inside the spawned emacs (require
'magit) works without any issues.

Cheers

Given that I did the guix pull yesterday/today and that the store
inconsistencies disappeared with that, I have to assume the following:

(1) Either my guix installation is broken somehow, although I never messed
around in the store and only have quite basic usage using environments and
profiles (actually haven't touched profiles in a while and this is the first
time in a long time that I have thought I should make a profile for something,
instead of merely an environment), or (2) the command `guix shell -C emacs
emacs-magit -E TERM -- emacs` does something different, than the command, which
I use to make a profile and that therefore the results are different.

If (1) is the case, then I guess there has to be a bug somewhere in guix
package manager, which messed things up, since I only use very few basic
commands of guix to install packages, use environments and profiles. It's not
like I go into the store and mess around in the folders ^^'

If (2) is the case, then I am simply not knowledgeable about guix to say what
that difference might be.

I am not sure I really want to somehow remove guix and then reinstall it again,
because everything else seems to work just fine.

Not sure what to do now. I might have to abandon the project of getting
reproducible emacs setup using guix again, or simply cannot use guix' profile
functionality for that.

Best regards,
Zelphir

--