guix-devel

Re: Excessively energy-consuming software considered malware?

From: Jonathan McHugh
Subject: Re: Excessively energy-consuming software considered malware?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:34:15 +0000

Hello Maxime,

February 20, 2022 1:37 PM, "Maxime Devos" <maximedevos@telenet.be> wrote:

> More concretely, the p2pool description is:
>
> ‘Monero P2Pool is a peer-to-peer Monero mining pool. P2Pool
> combines the advantages of pool and solo mining; you still fully
> control your Monero node and what it mines, but *you get frequent
> payouts like on a regular pool.*’

The Monero description is evidently written by a marketer - thats enough
justification for caution.

For example, the use of the word "like" in the description appears to remove
rather than add clarification

I know which of the following statements is more reassuring:
* You will be paid Saturday
* You will be paid like Saturday

Similarly, the repeating use of terms (P2P, mining, pool) and the name Monero
feels like a cynical approach at inbibing rather than educating.

FWIW, Ive noticed that many toolset descriptions are turning into hyperbole on
the homepages.
Ive found that visiting forges READMEs tends to provide clearer and more
concise descriptions of what a tool is and its functions.

If a concise and normative technical definition of the tool exists then maybe
it can be considered (inspite of all the moral hazards and negative
externalities).

Until then, let such hazardous pools mine their chains *all solo like* on other
OSes.

Jonathan McHugh
indieterminacy@libre.brussels