guix-devel

Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC

From: Jonathan McHugh
Subject: Re: [minor patch] Amend CoC
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:47:17 +0000

Hi Liliana,

[dropping ML CC for this reply as its offtopic re Guix]

Thanks for the clarification.

Living in Belgium, this advert for bars/cafes always wrankles me:
```
cherche serveuse
```

It may be that Im missing some linguistic touches but I dont know why such
gender inference is legal.

The francophone language doesnt fit in my head very well - my brain cant handle
all these gender registers for every (effing) noun:
* Pencil - probably a male?
* Coffee - definately a male?
* large coffee - probably the same as a regular coffee?
* Tablecloth - male?
* Spacestation - ...female?

Its farcical, and weird that we tollerate gender specific nouns to be codified
writ large across society.

Personally, Im getting better at using gender neutral nouns in English given
this growing frustration. It takes time to undo such legacy habits but I
consider that people should actively control language and alter it with greater
autonomy.

Also, Im happy that Belgian laws allow for giving children both parents'
surnames (which I did for mine), as well as establishing that wives should not
have to lose their surname (almost wrote maidenname, grrrr).

Dont get me started on weeklong knights and princesses themes at my childrens'
school. My son picked up a lot of chauvanism very quickly from the
'institution'.

Thanks all for an interesting thread, I appreciate your perspectives re trying
to make people feel more confident in their own skin.

Jonathan

February 20, 2022 10:12 PM, "Liliana Marie Prikler" <liliana.prikler@gmail.com>