guix-devel

Re: better error messages through assertions

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: better error messages through assertions
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:01:35 +0530

Hi Ricardo,

I too would like to see much better error checking for our services,
though I don't know what the best way to achieve that is.

Type checking alone may not be sufficient. All types in a configuration
record could be valid, but some combination of field values in the
record may not be valid. For a quick and dumb example, it may not be
allowed to configure a service to listen on a TCP port and a Unix socket
at the same time, and we should error out if it is told to do so. For
these use cases, we need to support more complex predicates that take
the whole configuration record and check if it is valid.

Regards,
Arun