guix-devel

Re: Excessively energy-consuming software considered malware?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Excessively energy-consuming software considered malware?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:00:29 -0500

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 06:35:19PM +0100, Taylan Kammer wrote:
> There's a gnu-misc-discuss mailing list which seems to be used for topics
> that are only tangentially on-topic.  It might be a candidate.  Though it
> has some... well, trolls IMO, though I won't name names.  So maybe it's
> not the best place.  Just throwing it out there.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/

That list is a bad place because it's where all the bad conversations go
--- tautological.

If Guix were to set up a similar list, we'd end up hosting something
just as bad, and to outsiders, it would reflect poorly on Guix. Just
like gnu-misc-discuss makes GNU look awful to outsiders.

It won't benefit Guix to have a mailing list dedicated to off-topic
tangents. We should strive to maintain an atmosphere that is focused,
courteous, and collegial.

There *is* a Guix community, but Guix is not a community space, or a
place to live. It's a software project.

On the topic of cryptomining and its inclusion in the distro, there have
always been programs that people think should not be distributed. The
problem is that there's no consensus about which programs are beyond the
pale.