guix-devel

Re: An appeal to empathy on actual hurt caused by this thread

From: Morgan Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: An appeal to empathy on actual hurt caused by this thread
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 10:39:05 -0500

Thank you for this response and for sharing some of your own experiences. I just want to address this issue:

I think that the main reason that this thread turned contentious is the body of rhetoric you were referencing. In an earlier part of the thread, you said:

>Not to hide anything: personally, I ascribe to views (broadly, radical
>feminism) which contradict some key aspects of the transgender movement.
>However, that's irrelevant in this context.

Whatever your intentions were, the rhetoric you were using to argue your point comes from the discourse of Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminism, that is not irrelevant in this context. You were using the same talking points that people use to bully and harass trans people in person and online and others in positions of power in my country and across the globe are actively using to reject the lived experiences of transgender individuals and deny them basic human rights (like access to health care). This is why your proposal elicited a trauma response for some people. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that this was not your intention but for many people in the world and in the Guix community your argument cannot be separated from this context.

For my own part, conversations about what benefits [cis-]women in a community without including any [cis-]women in the conversation (though from my persepctive as a feminist, I would argue that Liliana and Christine's input as women should have been heeded as such) ties into a centuries-long patriarchal trend of talking around women about their best interests instead of speaking with them about their needs.

I hope you do not view this as an attack, I am merely framing this conversation within broader contexts that led this thread to cause harm to members of the community since you asked us why it had this unintended impact.

Best,
Morgan