guix-devel

Package's inputs for developer?

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Package's inputs for developer?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 11:19:58 -0500

Hi Guix,

I often find my self using inheritance of package to add native-inputs
that are not stricly necessary for building the project, but are used
for developement purpose like so:
(define base-native-inputs (list ...))

(define my-package
  (package
    (native-inputs base-native-inputs)
    ...))

;; Developers version
(package
  (inherit my-package)
  (native-inputs
    (append base-native-inputs
            (list gdb lcov))))

I guess this is the correct way of doing it or perhaps I should put gdb
and lcov in the base-native-inputs?.  But I was thinking that perhaps
something like `(developer-inputs (list gdb lcov))` would be better,
since these inputs are not stricly necessary for building the package.

Regards,
old

--
Olivier Dion