guix-devel

Re: Building a software toolchain that works

From: Oliver Propst
Subject: Re: Building a software toolchain that works
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:10:29 +0100

On 2022-03-18 07:27, Pjotr Prins wrote:
On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 03:04:18PM -0500, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:
In addition, because free software is largely developed in people's spare time, they're going to use whatever tools make them most productive or even just happy. They're probably not thinking about their software against the backdrop of the larger software ecosystem.

Agree. Though I would not underestimate these people involved in
creating such ecosystems. Often they are not even on Linux. When the
Dlang people created dub I pointed them to Guix. Obviously I failed to
convince them.

Guix solves a lot of issues, and is wonderful to use, but I don't think it solves the most difficult issues: human issues :)

It is a complex world out there if you look at the mix of operating
systems and compilers/interpreters. From my point of view GNU Guix
greatly simplies development and deployment - targeting Linux - at the
cost of some up-front investment. It is nice when people realise that
so much complexity goes away living in a Guix world.

Very interesting notes. And well don' think there is an understatement what so-ever that I basically agree with points here :)

*I mean just was stated during the Guix online days a few weeks ago I think its "simplicity" that makes Guix such interesting and attractive project. And something which in turn I guess makes us motivated to contribute and further spread the knowledge about the power of Guix (and free software in general for that matter).

--
Kinds regards Oliver Propst
https://twitter.com/Opropst