guix-devel

Re: Autotools-generated 'configure' & 'Makefile.in' considered binaries?

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Autotools-generated 'configure' & 'Makefile.in' considered binaries?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 22:11:49 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 31.03.2022 um 20:31 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 31-03-2022 om 20:24 [+0200]:
> > > What would not work correctly here?
> > grep "[Gg]enerated" pre-inst-env
>
> I suggest:
>
>   1. check that the file name is "configure" or "Makefile.in"
>   2. and search for "[Gg]enerated by (automake|GNU Autoconf)"
>   3. If (1) and (2) match, consider it to be a generated file
>
> pre-inst-env doesn't match this, so no false positive in this case.
I wasn't arguing for a false positive, but a false negative under the
assumption that we want to remove *all* files generated by Autotools,
not just configure or Makefile.in.

> Just searching for "generated" is indeed too general a search string.
See above, the point I'm making is that no such blurb shows up in files
that don't match (1).

If we want to approximate from below, simply deleting configure should
suffice to rebuild build files (assuming the tarballs was indeed
created by autotools and contains no other build files magically
referenced despite not being bootstrapped), and I don't think space
savings are large enough to be worth it outside of a puritan
perspective (which again would be better served by improving Autotools
so only old bootstrapping tarballs remain affected).

Cheers