guix-devel

Re: New review checklist

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: New review checklist
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 16:45:54 +0200

Am Samstag, dem 02.04.2022 um 15:38 +0200 schrieb Bengt Richter:
> Hi Liliana, Maxime, et al,
> [...]
> Here ISTM important to understand exactly what you mean by "let-
> binding" so I would really like it if I could type

>     info guile let-binding
Does info '(guile)Local Bindings' answer this question? :P
We might want to make it so that '(guile)let' shows this node
otherwise.

> into my command line interpreter, and get right to the details
> as I often can for other things, e.g.

>     info guile define-macro
>
> This suggests to me something like a translation project, except
> not beween local natural languages, but between
> expert guile/guix implementer's terminology and detailed explanations
> that various level programmers can go into as deeply as they want
> (following suggested reading if not included in the info doc itself).
>
> I am also imagining info could be instrumented to emit a minimal
> email to a server that could accumulate statistics on no-hit lookups,
> and that this could be visible in some tool when someone
> feels like contributing to make
I don't think let-binding is such a complicated concept.  It is exactly
what it says on the tin: Using the let syntax to bind a variable.
Furthermore, even if you don't understand the term on its own, Maxime
went on to state the question at hand in more detail, from which you
could infer the difference between "let-binding" and not "let-binding".

Cheers