guix-devel

Re: How to find binaries in libexec dir?

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: How to find binaries in libexec dir?
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:42:43 -0700

On 2022-04-17, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Am Sonntag, dem 17.04.2022 um 12:27 -0700 schrieb Vagrant Cascadian:
>> On 2022-04-17, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:

>> > I've looked upstream https://github.com/hughsie/libxmlb and it
>> > says, very close to the beginning (so it's a main feature
>> > apparently):

>> > Well, for that to work, xb-tool should be in bin.
>> >
>> > I'd file a bug report with libxmlb to move xb-tool to bin.
>>
>> Good suggestion, we'll see where it goes!
>>
>>   Please install xb-tool into bin instead of libexec
>>   https://github.com/hughsie/libxmlb/issues/123

I got a positive response almost immediately, so that sounds promising
at least!

>> In the meantime, would it be reasonable to workaround this in guix by
>> patching libxmlb to include xb-tool in bin, either by moving it
>> there, or symlinking it from there?
> You do realize search-input-file works with libexec/ as well, right?
> Just expand the command to its store path like we do for most commands
> out there.

I thought about that, but it needs to be discovered at runtime...

It is arguably unreasonable to install *all* of diffoscope's supported
features out-of-the-box. So hard-coding a specific guix generation's
paths seems inappropriate.

I recognize that is a bit at odds with guix's functional paradigm, as
diffoscope will behave differently depending on what else is installed
in the active user or system profile... but diffoscope has support for
*many* file formats and only detects for available helper tools at
runtime.

live well,
  vagrant