guix-devel

Re: Improve the output of `guix refresh -l`

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Improve the output of `guix refresh -l`
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:40:32 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 at 18:22, Zhu Zihao <all_but_last@163.com> wrote:

> for example, run `guix refresh -l pango`, The terminal prints:
>
> ```
> Building the following 2945 packages would ensure 7521 dependent
> packages are rebuilt: ......<long long package list>
> ```
>
> The package list is too long to read, flood my terminal with package
> names. It will hide the actual rebuilt count, I have to pipe the output
> to less command to make sure I can see it.

Instead of piping to less, I pipe to cut,

    guix refresh -l python-numpy | cut -f1 -d':'

And rebuild, I use:

    guix build $(guix refresh -l python-pytorch | cut -f2 -d':')

or if I need a readable list:

    guix refresh -l python-scipy | cut -f2 -d':' | sed 's/ /\n/g'

> What about add an option like `--detail` for `guix refresh -l`?

I agree that the output of “guix refresh -l” is cumbersome. :-)

Cheers,
simon