guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 06:23:02 +0200

Am Dienstag, dem 03.05.2022 um 23:11 +0200 schrieb Maxime Devos:
> Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op di 03-05-2022 om 22:04 [+0200]:
> > That's why I say the long-term goal is evaluating search paths over
> > multiple profiles.  However, given that Guix Home is currently a
> > technological preview and given on top that multiple profile
> > support is "write your own shell script, will ya?", I think we can
> > leave that as a nice to have for later.
>
> In practice, ‘nice to have later’ becomes virtually never, see e.g.
> not building dependencies again and again and not having to build
> dozens of variants of a package (go-build-system (*) and cargo-build-
> system (**). As such, I'd rather have ‘now’.
In practice, this is still not a blocker, because extra inputs for
search paths affect neither the purity nor the union-build much.

> Also, this sounds like adding a new feature (multiple profiles for
> Guix Home) at cost of an extra (known) bug (these multiple profiles
> don't share search paths).
Hyrum's Law might also come in play here.  Thus an alternative would
not be sharing search paths, but making those search paths themselves a
part of manifests.  However, while either would be doable if we
bikeshed enough, having a known bug persist while we solve an important
other issue is imho preferable to waiting until we all agree about
what's to be done with it.

Cheers