guix-devel

Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, hom

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, homepage and issues
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 15:36:35 +0000

Hi,

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, May 23rd, 2022 at 7:39 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ludovic Courtès ludo@gnu.org skribis:
>
> > Anyway, the situation is confusing; there’s no point in having two
> > slightly different variants. I suggest we check with Alex off-list to
> > get a better understanding of what they want. Worst case, we can
> > cherry-pick commits from Alex’s copy if Alex doesn’t want to be involved
> > in discussions around Emacs-Guix or Guix development.
>

> Emailed Alex off-list and didn’t get a reply.
>
> So we’re on our own like grownups, but that’s fine, I’m sure we’ll
> manage. :-)
>
> First, we need to cherry-pick relevant commits from gitlab.com. Any
> takers? If you Giovanni or anyone else is willing to help, we can grant
> commit access so we share the work. Another way to help is by listing
> commits that should be applied.
>
> Volunteers?

I'd be happy to help with the efforts! I just took a few minutes and checked
both repos out into a single working tree, and there aren't many commits unique
to each repository. The official savannah repo has 5 commits since they
diverged, with the 3 oldest looking like variations of the 6 oldest in the
gitlab repo. Likewise, not counting the 6 just mentioned, there are 4 unique
commits in the gitlab repo. Those 4 commits are:

* c9aef52 - (gitlab/master, gitlab/HEAD) elisp/ui-package: Add
'guix-package-use-name-at-point' variable (12 months ago)<Alex Kost>
* e5ff0e5 - elisp/ui-package: Fix an error on package name read (12 months
ago)<Alex Kost>
* 8ce6d21 - Rename 'guix-search-…' to 'guix-packages-…' commands (1 year, 3
months ago)<Alex Kost>
* fbc2bbc - elisp/ui-package: Use thing at point for 'guix-packages-by-name'
command (1 year, 3 months ago)<Alex Kost>

Cheers,
Kaelyn

P.S For full reference, the remotes are:
gitlab  https://gitlab.com/emacs-guix/emacs-guix.git
official        git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix/emacs-guix.git

`git merge-base gitlab/master official/master` returns the hash:
41fba4eec845e050be92bfe76c0f7980bbe821bd

The commits since the merge-base in the savannah repo:
* c9c5cb0 - (HEAD -> master, official/master) elisp/profiles: Support Home
profiles. (3 months ago)<Ludovic Courtès>
* 94fcf1f - elisp/prettify: Recognize "/zstd" in nar URLs. (4 months
ago)<Ludovic Courtès>
* 825ab77 - Remove all references to the GuixSD name. (1 year, 4 months
ago)<Tobias Geerinckx-Rice>
* a42f66c - elisp: Support geiser @0.12.x (1 year, 4 months ago)<John Soo>
* d61d827 - scheme: Remove @@ for Guile 3.x support. (1 year, 4 months
ago)<John Soo>

And the commits in the gitlab repo since the merge-base:
* c9aef52 - (gitlab/master, gitlab/HEAD) elisp/ui-package: Add
'guix-package-use-name-at-point' variable (12 months ago)<Alex Kost>
* e5ff0e5 - elisp/ui-package: Fix an error on package name read (12 months
ago)<Alex Kost>
* 8ce6d21 - Rename 'guix-search-…' to 'guix-packages-…' commands (1 year, 3
months ago)<Alex Kost>
* fbc2bbc - elisp/ui-package: Use thing at point for 'guix-packages-by-name'
command (1 year, 3 months ago)<Alex Kost>
* 057e3a6 - Remove all references to the "GuixSD" name (1 year, 4 months
ago)<Tobias Geerinckx-Rice>
* bb2a053 - elisp/repl: Support geiser 0.12.x (1 year, 5 months ago)<John Soo>
* 753dbb0 - scheme: Remove "@@" from 'log-url' (1 year, 5 months ago)<John Soo>
* 66695d0 - scheme: Remove "@@" from "pack" symbols (1 year, 5 months ago)<John

* 20cb235 - scheme: Remove "@@" from 'operating-system-firmware' (1 year, 5
months ago)<John Soo>