guix-devel

Re: The case for moving raw binaries

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: The case for moving raw binaries
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 18:03:41 +0200

Ludovic Courtès schreef op ma 23-05-2022 om 17:10 [+0200]:
> One solution we haven’t yet used to its full potential is ‘wrap-script’,
> an alternative to ‘wrap-program’ that Ricardo added to (guix build
> utils) a while back.
>
> Its advantage is that it does not create a new file.  It only works for
> scripts, and only in some languages, but using it more widely may
> already improve the situation noticeably.

Some time ago I wrote a variant of 'wrap-script' for perl scripts -- it
supported adjusting the load paths without touching any environment
variables, so it doesn't interfere with subprocesses (in contrast to
'wrap-program'), but setting arbitrary environment variables is not
(yet) supported.  It wasn't suitable for general usage yet and was
unpublished, but if anyone is interested, I could dig through git
branches & stashes to find it again.

Greetings,
Maxime.