guix-devel

Re: Move /gnu/store to another filesystem

From: Théo Maxime Tyburn
Subject: Re: Move /gnu/store to another filesystem
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 15:56:03 +0200

Hi Tobias,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> However, ‘cp -p’ does not preserve everything, including hard links.
> Applications shouldn't care but you might be surprised at how much
> disc space hard links save on my system:
>
> ~ λ du -hs /gnu/store
> 86G   /gnu/store
> ~ λ du -hs --count-links /gnu/store
> 192G  /gnu/store
>
> I was!

Wow!

> ‘cp -a’ should preserve hard links but I personally recommend using
> rsync instead, with a paranoid helping of -aHAX flags. Unlike cp, it's
> resumable, which is nice when copying 100s of gigabytes.

Yes I wasn’t sure if keeping links could not break something. But I
guess it shouldn’t harm since after mounting everything will have the
same place on the filesystem.

I agree that rsync -aHAX seems a much better option. I would have
resorted to that if things kept breaking with cp. That’s what I meant by
"just using cp is a bit brutal". I wasn’t sure which of
the uncountable options of rsync to use though ^^

> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

Thanks for the feedback,

Théo