guix-devel

Re: Release v1.4?

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Release v1.4?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:45:59 +0200

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
> So plain ‘emacs’ package doesn’t work on Wayland?  That sounds like a
> recipe for a poor user experience, no?

It does, but only through XWayland which is not ideal, and doesn't look
as good as Emacs on native X or emacs-pgtk on Wayland (font rendering in
XWayland isn't as good as either of those).

> (FWIW folks like me who use exwm, ratpoison, or one of these geeky
> tiling window managers probably can’t switch.)

Maybe someone would love to write ewwm? :p

> Yeah, understood.  (I think we should have a section in the manual
> documenting, with actual examples, how to set up Wayland!)
>
> Surely there’s a geek audience who expects Wayland, and another geek
> audience who needs X for their tools; in between, there’s probably a lot
> of people who’s fine either way.

What I was advocating was only to change GDM's default mode to Wayland,
not force everyone to use a Wayland compositor!  The reason is that GDM
running in X mode will not pick up Wayland sessions, whereas GDM running
in Wayland mode will happily list and launch both types.  Also, note
that X software can run on Wayland through XWayland, which is part of
the official xorg project and works quite well, minus some small
wrinkles such as the one noted above.

> I have no objection to defaulting to Wayland, but my gut feeling is that
> we have enough on our plate for 1.4 already, so I’d rather delay that
> post-release.
>
> WDYT?

Seems ok to me, since in any case most people trying out Guix in a VM
will `guix pull` before `guix reconfigure`'ing, as long as we do that at
some point it will work OOTB for them.  We can postpone all of this for
after the release.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret