guix-devel

Re: Release v1.4?

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: Release v1.4?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 11:37:18 -0400

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

So plain ‘emacs’ package doesn’t work on Wayland? That sounds like a
recipe for a poor user experience, no?

The mainline Emacs is not Wayland-native, but it (along with just about everything else) will run fine under XWayland. It's how I've been running it for some time now. The user experience is almost indistinguishable from either the ‘pgtk’ branch or the mainline, X-only branch.

(FWIW folks like me who use exwm, ratpoison, or one of these geeky
tiling window managers probably can’t switch.)

This is correct, but I don't see why this should prevent Guix offering the option for Wayland-based compositors/window-managers out of the box as all it does is offer more options for users.

I have no objection to defaulting to Wayland, but my gut feeling is that we have enough on our plate for 1.4 already, so I’d rather delay that
post-release.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't believe that setting the ‘wayland’ flag to #t in gdm-configuration causes Wayland to be used for your desktop environment, it merely *allows* it to be selected from the greeter. When logging in you can select from Gnome under X, Gnome under Wayland, or other window managers you may have installed under either environment. Without that flag only the X11 window managers will be selectable.

-bjc